Sunday, September 21, 2008

Super low-calorie zucchini slaw

It's time to get serious again about watching what I eat. I mentioned in this blog that I had 5 more baby pounds to lose. Sadly, I still have those 5 pounds. But, hey, at least it's not more!
Anyway, it hasn't been easy to diet with visitors here -- I want to make good meals that they will remember -- and I think I've indulged for good reasons (my dad's birthday and my parents' anniversary).

I'm pretty good at finding recipes that are fun to make AND low-calorie and low-fat. I guess it's become sort of a mission in my life. You know, it's easier to make delicious meals with lots of bad ingredients, such as butter and cream. And who doesn't love deep-fried things like fried chicken or donuts? To make delicious meals that are also good for you, well, that's a real challenge.

Here's a recipe that has just 31 calories per serving! Sure, it's just a side dish, but how many side dishes can you say that about? 31 calories is nothing.

Also: It's got no fat, 2 grams of protein per serving, and 6 grams of carbs per serving. Oh, yeah: and it tastes really good! I like it with blackened fish. (FYI, I got this from Eating Well.)


Zucchini slaw (makes 6 servings)

1.5 pounds zucchini, grated

1 medium sweet onion, such as vidalia, very thinly sliced

1.5 teaspoons coarse salt

1/4 cup cider vinegar

1 small red pepper, diced

3 tablespoons frozen apple juice concentrate

2 tablespoons fresh basil

salt and pepper, to taste

1.) Toss the zucchini and onion with the coarse salt, and set in a colander to drain for a half-hour.

2.) Squeeze them to get rid of the juices, and place them in a bowl.

3.) In a separate bowl, combine apple juice concentrate, cider vinegar, salt, and pepper. Add the zucchini, onion, red pepper, and basil to the dressing.

4.) Add salt and pepper, and toss to coat.


Coming up this week: OK, I know, I know, I've slacked again... I promise I will post the olive oil bread-dip recipe this week. I will also post a warm barley cereal recipe, corny cornbread, and Jamaican pumpkin curry stew (I'm most excited about that one!).

Today's question: What's your favorite diet-worthy meal, side, or snack?

2 comments:

Jen said...

i'm looking for more things to do with zuch, and finding a slaw that doesn't use mayo. you've answered my prayer! (okay that last part was dramatic, but you get the idear, right?)

Nicole said...

Hallelujah!