Sunday, September 14, 2008

Leftovers: Lobster, sweet potato, and corn bisque

Finding this recipe was absolute luck.

When Dan and I had whole lobsters quite a while back, I kept the shells and boiled them to make a stock, adding carrots, onion, and celery. I knew I wanted to make some sort of lobster-infused stew or soup, but beyond that, I wasn't sure what it would turn into.

I had sweet potatoes and corn in the house, and I thought those would probably go really well. Lo and behold, I opened a cookbook I had only used for a mushroom soup recipe a couple times -- Totally Dairy-Free Cooking, by Louis Lanza -- and found a recipe for lobster, sweet potato, and corn bisque. I cut the recipe in half and adapted it for my needs (i.e. I didn't have any brandy or white wine). Here's the resulting concoction, which turned out really delicious. The soy milk adds a little sweetness, and the lobster flavor really permeates the whole thing.

You could make your stock with the leftover shells from my broiled lobster tails recipe. Just boil the tails gently in enough water to cover them completely for about two hours -- cover the pot, too -- then strain the broth and discard the shells. Refrigerate if not using immediately to make the bisque.



Lobster, sweet potato, and corn bisque (makes 6 servings)

2 sweet potatoes

2 teaspoons olive oil

1/2 cup chopped carrots

1/2 cup frozen corn

1/2 cup cooking sherry

1/2 cup water

5 cups lobster stock

1 cup lowfat soy milk or vanilla soy milk (I like WestSoy Plus)

salt and freshly ground black pepper



1.) Peel the sweet potatoes, cut into chunks, and steam until tender (for several minutes).

2.) Heat the olive oil in a stock pot, add the onion and cook about 5 minutes. Add the carrots and corn and cook, stirring, for another 5 minutes.

3.) Add the sherry and water and simmer, reducing the liquid to about half. Add the lobster stock and bring to a boil.

4.) Reduce heat and simmer about 20 minutes.

5.) Add the sweet potatoes to the soup, and blend with a hand blender. Slowly add the soy milk while blending.

6.) Season with salt and pepper.



Coming up this week: I plan to re-create the tasty dipping olive oil from Grazie Italian Eatery, and I will share a roasted broccoli recipe that changed my mind about the green cruciferous veggies that I had been avoiding for so long. Also, I promise to post the Indian pea and potato soup recipe -- finally! If I have the time, I will also post the pecan pie recipe I made for my dad's 66th birthday on Friday. Otherwise, you'll just have to wait for that one. (It's worth it.)

No comments: