Monday, September 29, 2008

Roasted asparagus with parmesan crisps

I thought I'd try roasting asparagus the same way I do broccoli -- super hot and super fast. It turned out great. I made parmesan crisps to go with them, and I ground them coarsely and sprinkled them on top of the veggies. The general consensus about the crisps: They rocked. (I got that recipe from Domino magazine.)


Roasted asparagus with parmesan crisps (makes 4 side servings)

1 bunch asparagus
1 tablespoon olive oil
salt and black pepper, to taste
1 cup grated parmesan (I recommend buying a nice, aged chunk and grating it yourself)
1 teaspoon all-purpose flour



1.) Pre-heat the oven to 450 degrees. While that is heating, mix your parmesan with the teaspoon of flour by hand.

2.) Heat a non-stick skillet medium-high, and drop tiny amounts of the parm mixture into it. As soon as they start to bubble and turn golden, flip them with a plastic spatula and let them sizzle on the other side. Cool them on a plate.





3.) Toss the asparagus with olive oil and roast for 5 minutes. Turn them once, and roast another 5 minutes.


4.) When the parm crisps are cool, grind them coarsely. Sprinkle the asparagus with salt and pepper, to taste, then sprinkle the crisps liberally on top. (You might have a few crisps left over...)


Up next: Tilapia chowder with fresh tarragon

Today's question: Can you help me find a really good broccoli recipe? I'd like to make it more often.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

I am posting this here, and at the "broccoli for the discerning" recipe.

I am helping my mom figure out the ins and outs of posting comments on a blog. She lives in Germany, so it's hard to help her "online," when I can't see what she sees on the computer screen. Anyway... here's one comment from her:

"You asked for a great Broccoli recipe. I just love my plain one and you might too.
For 2 persons:Blanch 1 2/2 lb of Broccoli for 5 Min.
Drain and arrange in an oven-proof dish.
Take 1 cup of bread crumbs, 2 cloves garlic, squeezed, 2 TB spoons of Extra virgin olive oil little salt and pepper.
Sautee/semi brown ingredients in a small skillet, stirring occasionally. Dribble over broccoli.
Push into hot oven for 10 min. before serving.
Does that recipe make any sense to you?
Schöne Gruesse,Deine Mom"