Saturday, September 27, 2008

Olive oil dipping sauce


I mentioned in this post that Dan and I had a tasty meal at Grazie Italian Eatery recently. I love places that serve olive oil with bread... So I decided to try to copy Grazie's dip, which was very good. The server told me it had thyme and crushed red pepper, and I noticed there was some rosemary in there, too.

Here's what I came up with, and I cheated on the dried herbs -- I used herbes de Provence, which is a mixture of dried herbs you can buy. I didn't include measurements here because it's much easier just to put your dried stuff in a little bowl and swirl some olive oil on top... There's no need to worry about quantities; it's easily fixable if you feel there's too much or too little of anything.

My favorite bread to dip into this is La Brea's whole grain loaf.


Olive oil dipping sauce

extra-virgin olive oil

crushed red pepper

freshly ground black pepper

herbes de Provence*

granulated garlic

coarsely ground salt


*By the way, this would be delicious with just rosemary, garlic, oil, salt, and pepper. But be sure the rosemary is dried; it can be a little bitter when it's fresh.


Today's question: Do you have any favorite dipping sauces for bread?

No comments: