Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Best blackening mix ever (if I may say so myself)


I frequently buy blackened tofu in the deli of Bloomingfoods, sometimes just on its own, sometimes on the yummy sandwich they make that has red onion, lettuce, tomato, and vegannaise.

I wanted to make my own blackening spices at home, and when I searched the Internet for recipes, a huge array of them turned up, featuring all different kinds of herbs and spices and widely varying degrees of spiciness. I'm really picky about how spicy something is. So I tried a few of them out and came up with my own recipe, and if I may say so myself, it's damn fine. The best, I think.

I use this mix on tilapia fillets and tofu*. It makes great sandwiches. I plan to try it on catfish sometime soon.

*If using tofu, get a refrigerated, water-packed block, and weight it down with a plate while draining it on a paper towel for about 20 minutes before slicing into quarters, lengthwise.


Blackening spices (makes 3/4 cup mix; store in an air-tight container)

2-4 teaspoons salt, depending on how salty you like your food

2 tablespoons Hungarian paprika

2 teaspoons garlic granules

2 teaspoons onion powder

1 teaspoon cayenne

1 teaspoon black pepper

1 teaspoon dried thyme

1 teaspoon dried oregano

1 packed teaspoon rubbed sage

1/2 teaspoon white pepper

1.) Mix all ingredients together with a fork or wire whisk. Pat the fish or tofu dry (rinse fish first). Spread the spice mix onto a shallow pan or plate, and lightly press both sides into it, so they gets evenly and completely coated.
2.) Fry, covered, over medium-high heat in a pre-heated, non-stick, oil-misted pan, about 3 minutes per side.

Today's question: Do you have any suggestions for interesting dishes I can make?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How about a recipes for enchiladas with green sauce or anything Mexican. Sometimes when I look at this blog I get really, really hungry!!!!

Nicole said...

I MUST add a comment here about the blackening mix I made the other night. Sweet Jesus, did I find a fish that worked superbly! I bought wild-caught Brazilian catfish at Bloomingfoods. I'd never heard of it before, and the skin side of the fillets were sort of leopard-like... and MAN, were they FANTASTIC! I hope the co-op carries them regularly. They weren't as cheap as tilapia (which I was looking for, but they were out), but they were absolutely incredible. I might do a post sometime soon about surprise grocery finds. That sounds fun, doesn't it?