Sunday, September 7, 2008

Bonus weekend recipe: Stove-top s'mores



It's kind of pathetic, I know, but I have a horrible new habit. Well, maybe it's a horrible longtime habit. Whatever.

When my sweet tooth gets the best of me late at night, I often turn to marshmallows. I like marshmallows, but I tend to pull them out of the cupboard in a pinch, when there's no ice cream, cookies, or pudding in the house.

I've always been a fan of gas stoves, but toasting marshmallows is one of the reasons I think they are so great. I just put two or three of the fluffy white sweets on a metal skewer and slowly brown them over a medium flame.

In case you've never had the pleasure of making s'mores, you should take your toasted marshmallows and a couple chocolate squares, and make a sandwich with them between graham crackers.

Who needs a campfire, anyway?

Today's question: What's your favorite late-night/quick-and-easy snack?

5 comments:

Jen said...

i love s'mores...s'morsey, s'morsey, s'morsey smores.
(imitating will farrell in anchorman) i made a vegan version called s'mores brownies in one of my food blog posts under the "nosh pit" entry.

Anonymous said...

Ummmmm...smore's! Yummy. I usually turn to something involving ice cream or chocolate syrup and peanut butter and sometimes its just chocolate syrup and peanut butter. Damm sweet teeth!

Anonymous said...

mmmmm....Any idea how to do this without a gas stove?

Nicole said...

I think you could do this under the broiler, or even in a toaster oven. Just watch the marshmallows carefully; they'll burn really fast under the broiler.

chanagan said...

I love it! When I was a kid, my mom and I did the same thing. I always thought it was so decadent!