Thursday, September 11, 2008

Butternut squash-potato puree with fresh thyme


OK, here it is, a brand-new recipe of mine -- inspired by Cottage Living magazine's butternut squash and potato mash with thyme. (The link I just provided has the recipe listed, but for some reason it wasn't popping up for me this time; try it out for yourself.)

The thing that was so good about this side was its subtle sweetness -- and its serious richness. It tastes like I used tons of butter -- in fact, there were remarks about how buttery it was -- and it's unique, which is not something one can say often about mashed potatoes.

We all four -- mom, dad, husband, and I -- wanted more of this, so next time I'll double the recipe.


Butternut squash-potato puree with fresh thyme (makes 4 side servings)

1 pound butternut squash, peeled and cubed

1 pound Yukon gold potatoes, unpeeled, cubed

1 tablespoon butter

1/2 cup whole milk yogurt

1.5 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped

salt and pepper, to taste

1.) Steam the squash in a steamer until tender. Boil the potatoes until tender.

2.) Melt butter in a pan, add the time and cook, stirring, over medium heat, for about two minutes.

3.) Combine all the ingredients and mash or puree with a hand blender. Add salt and pepper. (If you like, you can brown the top of the potatoes under a broiler for about 3 minutes.)

Today's question: Do you have a favorite way to fix up mashed potatoes?

4 comments:

Jen said...

i like keeping the skins on and blending either some salsa or garlic and herbs right into the taters. the squash mix looks really good. gives me some ideas for the huge squash i obtained at the hub a week ago.

Nicole said...

I think salsa is magic! It's so tasty and low-cal and fat-free. I've never tried it in potatoes, but that's a great idea. I will keep in mind. I use it as a marinade for chicken and tofu. You could just bake the tofu in some salsa, and it's the easiest, healthiest dinner!

Anonymous said...

I made this last night with swordfish and celery. I was soooo happy :-D My daughter wasn't a huge fan, however. She just cannot stand any form of mashed potatoes - how weird is that?

Nicole said...

Hi Carly!
That is super weird that your daughter isn't a fan of mashed potatoes! I bet that will change. Who doesn't love mashed potatoes? I'm glad you made this and liked it. I have made it again myself since posting the recipe. It's a good time of year for all things squash!