Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Leftovers: Yuck or yum?


I get so excited to try out new recipes and to change recipes I like to suit my personal tastes even more. But... leftovers? I struggle to eat them. They sit in the fridge, eyeing me coldly, sensing I am just not happy to see them.

Well, I resolved long ago that they must be eaten. It's just not cool to waste food. If it's something I can turn into a wrap for lunch -- blackened fish or grilled chicken -- I just throw a little avocado and sprouts on top and enjoy it. Soup is no problem, either; if I don't freeze it, I don't mind having it the next couple days. I find that it generally tastes better the next day, anyway.

What's problematic is things like... the quinoa from the night before last (minus the zucchini shells)! The novelty has worn off, and now the grains are about as exciting to me as plain rice that's two days old.
I found a way to turn the dish into patties, using various recipes for grain-based veggie burgers as a starting point. Here's the result.


Quinoa patties (10-12 small patties)

2 cups of the quinoa mixture from quinoa-stuffed zucchini

1/2 small carrot, shredded

1/2 medium zucchini, shredded

1 green onion, sliced

2 eggs

a 15.5-ounce can of chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained

olive oil for misting


1.) Combine ingredients through the eggs, and beat with a wire whisk.

2.) Put half of that mixture into a food processor with the chickpeas and process until smooth. (I only process half because I like to see colorful bits of veggies in my burgers, but you can process all of it if you prefer.)

3.) Stir those mixtures together.

4.) Mist olive oil generously into a non-stick pan over medium-high heat.

5.) Make patties by hand just before putting into pan -- they will be sticky and wet -- and fry for three to four minutes per side.

Serve with a side of tahini sauce, yogurt or a sweet dip.


The question of the day: Do you have any suggestions for jazzing up leftovers?

1 comment: