Monday, August 18, 2008

A few of my favorite things (part 1)

Last night my husband and I consumed far too much pizza and Kozy Shack chocolate pudding -- two of my all-time favorite things -- so today will be a salad day. Shucks.

Although I won't be posting a new recipe of my own, I'll provide some links to delicious recipes that have become regulars in my house.

Here are two recipes I tore out of magazines; lucky for you, they're online: Red chile and pecan slaw, from Self, is worth the prep work, for sure. This became an instant fave of mine. It's sweet and hot, just the way I like it. ... and potato salad with cornichons, from Domino. Fresh tarragon and those itty-bitty pickles make this delicious.

If you haven't visited Enlightened Cooking yet, you really should check it out. Camilla Saulsbury is an award-winning recipe creator -- and I mean, BIG-time wins, including a $100,000 Food Network chicken challenge award. I frequently try out the recipes she posts. Two of my favorites are energy bars (I like to make them with dried apple, cinnamon, and walnuts) and edamame dip with fresh lime and cilantro, which I just made over the weekend. It is fabulous and super healthy! I plan to try Camilla's red pepper and almond spread later this week, if I can easily find smoked almonds.

From Eating Well, my #1 recipe source: A dip I could eat every day -- this will knock your socks off -- is garlic and white bean dip. Yes, there's a ton of garlic in it, but you cook it slowly for so long, it just makes it sweetly garlicky. It truly is well worth the time it takes to make it, and the somewhat laborious procedures.

That recipe started me on a major cannellini bean kick, and I found this EW recipe for baked cod with chorizo and white beans -- a huge hit with my sister and mom, so don't just take my word for it.

Another EW recipe I use for parties is chocolate fudge pudding cake. It's quite easy but tastes like a fancy dessert you've been busting your butt to get on the table. Very decadent -- but with only 220 calories and 7 grams of fat per serving.

Last one from EW, although there are so many more: Pesto-stuffed chicken breasts. (Later this week, I'll be making homemade pesto, and I'll post that recipe.)

Lastly, the sharp-as-a-tack Dr. Zorba Paster is someone whose Wisconsin-based radio program I listen to every week. Zorba gives free medical advice to callers, and he always provides a heart-healthy recipe, such as these two scrumptious ones, African peanut soup and Turkish spinach with rice (some raw garlic in that one!).

I hope you enjoy those as much as I do.

Tomorrow I'll be working on that Japanese feast I promised.

No comments: