Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Healthier sloppy joes


Who doesn’t love a sloppy joe?

That’s what I was in the mood for today – a meaty, saucy sandwich that was a little sweet, a little tangy. And while I wanted what I grew up eating – the kind of sloppy joe for which you basically just need ground beef and a seasoning packet – I decided to try the homemade version. It had to be healthier, I figured.

It turned out pretty tasty (but not exactly like the real thing, I must admit). I used a recipe from my Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book, my trusted source for typically American food, and tweaked it just a bit.


Healthier sloppy joes (serves 5-6)

1 pound lean ground beef (I recommend the Fischer Farms brand)

½ cup chopped onion

½ cup chopped green pepper

8 ounces peeled, whole tomatoes from a can, juice included

2 tablespoons quick oats

1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder

1-1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce

¼ teaspoon granulated garlic

½ teaspoon salt

a few shakes of hot sauce

a couple drizzles of ketchup

5-6 whole grain hamburger buns, toasted

1.) Brown the beef with the green pepper and onions in a large skillet until beef is no longer pink. Drain the fat.

2.) Stir in the tomatoes, oats, chili powder, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, salt, and hot sauce. When it’s bubbling, reduce the heat and cook about 10 minutes.
3.) Serve on buns.

No comments: