Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Leftovers: Meaty marinara sauce




To use up the leftover grilled steak -- frozen since dinner several days ago -- I did a simple Google search on it, and I came up with this tempting link. People love their steaks!


Because ours was frozen, I opted for something in which the meat was sliced.


I love the idea of making a long-simmered tomato sauce with it, to put on top of pasta -- especially because that requires no additional ingredients to what I have in the house. I figured I could just use a basic marinara recipe.




Meaty marinara sauce (makes 4 servings)


leftover steak, about 1/2 pound or so


2 cups diced tomatoes, pureed tomatoes, or marinara sauce


2 teaspoons dried oregano


two tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped


1/2 large yellow onion, finely chopped


3 garlic cloves, minced


1 tablespoon olive oil


splash of red wine


salt and pepper, to taste


1.) Because my steak was frozen, I put it in a large pot, covered it with a little water, and brought the water to a boil. Then I turned down the heat and let the steak simmer fgently for about 30 minutes, leaving it covered the whole time.


2.) Remove the steak from the water, and reserve about 1/2 cup of the water, which will now be quite greasy.


3.) Chop the steak into small bits, removing all gristle and fat.


4.) In a saucepan, heat the olive oil. Add the onions, then 2 minutes later (stirring frequently), add the garlic. Cook for about 5 minutes.


5.) Add the meat and oregano, and cook gently for about 10 minutes, allowing some of the liquid to reduce.


6.) Stir in diced tomatoes or marinara, red wine, and salt and pepper. Cook, uncovered, gently simmering for 10-15 minutes. Sprinkle with fresh parsley just before serving with your favorite pasta or gnocchi.

No comments: