Friday, January 9, 2009

Zucchini pancakes


Here is one of my favorite recipes from when I was little. I don't know exactly where it comes from, but I saw a Korean dish in a magazine once that was similar but had scallions.

You can serve these warm or cold, and they're even good as a sandwich with two pieces of crunchy whole-grain bread.


Zucchini pancakes (makes 10 small cakes)

2 cups shredded zucchini
1/2 a small yellow onion, shredded

1 egg

1 egg yolk

1 cup all-purpose flour

4 tablespoons canola oil, divided

salt and pepper, to taste

1.) Combine zucchini, onion, egg, yolk, and flour in a mixing bowl, and stir well with a fork.

2.) Heat half the oil in a medium nonstick skillet on high.

3.) Drop heaping spoonfuls -- about 1/8 cup each, I'd say -- of the batter into the oil. (Make about 5 pancakes at a time, if you can.)

4.) Cook cakes for about 3 minutes a side, or until they are a medium golden brown. As the oil gets hotter with each skilletful of cakes, this time may decrease.

5.) Transfer to a plate lined with a paper towel, and drain briefly before sprinkling with salt and pepper and keeping pancakes warm in the oven.

6.) Repeat with another round of cakes.

3 comments:

KaraKT said...

I love these and I always forget to make them! The recipe I have calls them "fritters." I much prefer "pancake."

Nicole said...

These are a major guilty pleasure for me. I LOVE them.

Anonymous said...

They are sort of like latkes (potato pancakes served at Hanukkah). They also remind me of a Japanese dish called Okonomiyaki.